Friday, January 7, 2011

First day in Seoul!

So after a looong flight I arrived in Itaewon-dong, Yongsan-gu Seoul. To break that down, the 'dong' is my neighbourhood and the 'gu' is my district within the city. 'Si' is a city so I actually live in Seoulsi, and it is BIG. We also hit rush hour on the way from the airport which took about an hour to drive from. The city is huge and the streets are very steep and narrow with many motorcycles, mopeds and tiny cars. We were stuck on the major highway beside the Han river yesterday and there was a tiny car selling vegetables out of the trunk on the outside lane!
This is the view from my window :)


As for my neighbourhood there are many foreigners here. On my floor all of the tenants are Canadian and American. I ventured out this morning and was pleasantly surprised to learn that there was a big grocery mart underneath my building so thats very handy. Some food is very similar and I could pretty much understand most of what I was buying, except for a large pack of hotdogs which were very cheap so i'm hoping its actual meat but it could be tofu..or something else! A treat I'm not used to is the fact that there's tons of wine, beer and liquor to buy down there. Lots of Budweiser, Heineken and Miller Genuine Draft. And a litre of vodka, rum or whisky goes for about $7.50! Seems a long way away from the LCBO!



This is the outside of my building on my first morning. It just started snowing and was pretty cold outside but it was interesting getting to know the neighbourhood!




 This is my local grocery mart! So different to Canadian grocers. Theres beer and liquor but no butter or spreads or cheese!


A foreigner hangout called 'Beverly Hills'! 


Tonight I'll be venturing to the main foreigner district in Itaewon so I'll be updating more photos very soon!

1 comment: