Sunday, January 23, 2011

Mt. Cheonggyesan: My first hike!

So today I successfully completed my first mountain hike! It started off in really nice weather but once we reached the summit at 2200 metres it started snowing so hard unfortunately there was barely a view to be seen! It took 6 hours to hike the mountain and at some points seemed to drag on for ages. My crampons came in handy when some people in the group were sliding down the trail, I had a firm grip on the ground and didn't fall once! Which I am happy about because I am already sore enough as it is!
It was a tremendous workout and by the time we reached the summit we were covered in snow and could barely see the view in the distance. We stopped for a half hour lunch break at a Buddhist temple in the woods at the top of the other side of the mountain when we began our descent, here are some photos!




 This was the view at the summit. It was difficult to see in the blizzard but the mountain in the distance was apparently very large and we were above that. I hope the next time I hike it's a clear day for photos!
 A huge statue of the Buddha in the background!
This is me at the Chonggye Buddhist Temple in the middle of the woods on the slope of the mountain where we stopped for lunch.



Finally some wildlife! A rarity in a city the size of Seoul.

No comments:

Post a Comment